Questions To Ask Yourself
Over the years I have made a mental checklist of questions I normally ask myself when going into most music business decisions (and life decisions in general). Not all of these will apply to every situation but more often than not you can use a handful of these to help ensure the choices you are making are truly beneficial for what you hope to achieve. It is also important to keep in mind these questions will benefit you most if you have a clear vision of your career and life goals.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- Is this the right decision for your career? (not just right now, but in the long term)
- Is this worth doing? (not always a financial motivator, especially when thinking long term)
- Are you willing to make the sacrifices necessary for this to be a success?
- Does this fit your greater picture, or is it worth shifting your plans to make this fit?
- Can you recover from this situation if something goes wrong?
- Does this idea genuinely excite or motivate you?
- Are you confident that you can be ready for the challenge you have accepted?
- Does this fit inline with your moral code?
- Is there any serious consequences of going forward with this decision?
- Will you look back on this decision in 10 years and be happy you did it?
Mediocrity can often be one of our biggest enemies when it comes to achieving our goals and seeing projects through. Staying motivated, eager, excited and hungry for whatever task you accept will drastically increase your chances of success regardless of the project or what you are trying to achieve.